San Diego County: Del Mar Library celebrates 20 years in permanent home

From The Coast News Group

“Since its establishment more than a century ago, the Del Mar Library has been located in private homes, a former liquor store, a now-defunct seafood restaurant and a “temporary” trailer.It wasn’t until 1996 that it found a permanent home in the original St. James Catholic Church on Camino del Mar.Patrons young and old celebrated that 20-year milestone during an Oct. 8 event that included musical entertainment, face painting, balloon-animal making and of course, cake.The library opened in 1914 in the home of E.J. Hindle, who served as the first librarian, before relocating to a store and then, in 1924, to the house of author Lee Shippey on the bluff north of Eighth Street.For more than 50 years it continued to move around town. In 1977 it was temporarily moved to a trailer in the City Hall parking lot, where it remained for 20 years.”

http://www.thecoastnews.com/2016/10/14/del-mar-library-celebrates-20-years-in-permanent-home/

Advertisements